Mandatory Apprentice Exemption Appeal
Want to start as a Journeyworker?
Pursuant to the terms of your collective bargaining agreement, the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee initiated the Mandatory Apprentice and Permit Worker Program effective January 2, 2020.
All inexperienced employees hired on or after January 2, 2020 who perform covered work of the Laborers must be sponsored and accepted into the program as either an apprentice or permit worker and must be registered through the LIUNA Chicagoland Training Fund website at chicagolaborers.org. Important detailed information regarding the program’s requirements can be found at that website.
In order to be considered an experienced employee and thus exempt from these programs, an individual must meet at least one of the following requirements:
(1) Worked 100 or more hours of work as a Laborer within the jurisdiction of the Chicagoland Laborers’ District Council prior to January 2, 2020.
(2) Worked a total of 2,400 hours as a member of LIUNA outside the District Council’s jurisdiction.
(3) Worked a total of 2,400 hours with any other Building Trades union.
(4) Completed any other LIUNA apprentice program or other Building Trades apprentice program.
Any disputes regarding the Mandatory Apprentice Program must be submitted in writing to the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee at the following email address:
Prior to the institution of the Mandatory Apprentice Program, last year all contractor associations were notified of the program’s terms and were invited to the Chicagoland Laborers’ District Council Training Center to address any additional questions or concerns. Accordingly, please contact your contractor association if you have any additional questions.
All employers requesting an exemption to the Mandatory Apprentice Program must provide all of the following items listed below for each applicant, in order to be considered:
• A letter on Company Letterhead that must include:
1. Your name and contact information
2. The reasons you feel the individual should be exempted from the Apprentice Program.
3. The name of the individual of you are seeking exemption for and their contact information.
4. The type of work experiences the individual has performed that coincides with the attached proof of hours.
5. The type of work the individual will perform as a Laborer.
6. The job site location of the very first job the individual will begin work (office location not acceptable unless pre-approved)
7. This letter must be signed.
8. Verification of hours must also be attached. Absolutely no part of Social Security Numbers is to be visible in the attachment (white correction tape works perfectly to hide all numbers).
• Check stubs are required to verify the total number of experienced work hours listed on page 1, Items 1-3.
• W-2’s are not acceptable unless the company is no longer in business. If that is the case, the Director of Apprenticeship may accept as proof, then the hourly pay scale must be determined and divided accordingly to identify the total number of work hours the W-2’s represent.
Once the Director of Apprenticeship verifies that all requirements have been met, you will be sent an on-line link to formally submit the exemption request.
If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact John Retondo at
630-653-0006 ext. 252 or firstname.lastname@example.org.